The European Space Policy Institute’s (ESPI) Space Venture annual report details private investment trends in the space sector, focusing on European, global, and Chinese markets. The key points and insights from the report are as follows:
- Scope of the Report: This annual report concentrates on investment data for the mentioned markets. A separate report on European start-ups will be published later in Q4 2023.
- European Investment Trends: Europe saw a significant 64% growth in space sector investment in 2022, compared to 2021, reaching €1 billion. Most of the funding came from venture capital, with satellite manufacturing and services receiving the largest share. However, challenges persist, including smaller deal sizes and concentrated capital.
- Global Investment Overview: Global investments declined by 28% in 2022, totaling €8.8 billion, mainly due to the absence of Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (SPACs). However, the industry maintains a healthy growth rate, with the United States as the leading player, followed by Europe and China.
- Impressive Growth Outside Major Players: The rest of the world (excluding the USA, Europe, China, and Japan) experienced an increase of over 3000% in tracked investments since 2019, reflecting the space sector’s rapid global expansion.
- Special Focus on China: This year’s report includes special insights into China’s space sector, which has raised over ¥50 billion (€6.5 billion) since 2014. The commercial space sector in China has attracted substantial funding, with the launch sector receiving nearly 40% of total investments.
- Policy Considerations: To remain competitive, Europe must understand global dynamics and leverage other regions’ expertise. Key policy areas include fostering innovation, facilitating financial access, creating investment incentives, and enhancing public support to stimulate private investment.
- Insights and Opportunities: ESPI’s Space Venture provides essential insights into market dynamics, investment tools, and relevant actors. It offers an opportunity for public and private stakeholders, especially policymakers, to strengthen Europe’s space sector and ensure ongoing growth and success.
The report presents a comprehensive view of the investment landscape in the space industry, highlighting both the growth opportunities and challenges faced by different regions. It serves as an important resource for understanding the evolving dynamics of the space sector and guiding investment and policy decisions.