The United Kingdom has always been at the forefront of space exploration, dating back to the early days of the space race. In recent years, the country has reaffirmed its commitment to this field with the development of a comprehensive national space policy.
Under this policy, the UK government has made significant investments in space-related research and technology, as well as in the training of the next generation of space scientists and engineers. This has allowed the country to maintain its position as a major player in the global space industry.
One of the key initiatives of the UK's national space policy is the development of a new generation of small, low-cost satellites. These satellites are designed to be used for a wide range of applications, from monitoring the Earth's climate and weather patterns, to providing high-speed internet access to remote areas of the world.
The UK has also partnered with other countries and private companies to develop new technologies for space exploration, such as advanced propulsion systems and new types of spacecraft. These collaborations have allowed the UK to be at the forefront of some of the most exciting and innovative developments in space science.
As the UK continues to push the boundaries of what is possible in space, its national space policy will play a crucial role in ensuring that the country remains at the forefront of this exciting and rapidly-evolving field.
The most recent UK National Space Strategy was published February 2022. The following sections provide a high-level overview of that document.
The UK's Vision
We will build one of the most innovative and attractive space economies in the world, and the UK will grow as a space nation. We will protect and defend the UK's interests in space, shape the space environment and use space to help solve challenges at home and overseas. Through cutting edge research, we will inspire the next generation and sustain the UK's competitive edge in space science and technology.
The UK's Goals
- Grow and level up our space economy
- Promote the values of Global Britain
- Lead pioneering scientific discovery and inspire the nation
- Protect and defend our national interests in and through space
- Use space to deliver for UK citizens and the world
How the UK Will Achieve the Goals
- Unlocking growth in the space sector
- Collaborating internationally
- Growing the UK as a science and technology superpower
- Developing resilient space capabilities and services
- Capture the European market in commercial small satellite launch
- Fight climate change with space technology
- Unleash innovation across the space sector
- Expand our horizons with space science and exploration
- Develop our world class space clusters
- Lead the global effort in making space more sustainable
- Improve public services with space technology
- Deliver the UK space defense portfolio
- Upscale and inspire our future space workforce
- Use space technology to modernize and transform our transport system