The presentation covers FAA authority, internal processes, operator responsibilities, and provides an overview of the compliance and enforcement program. Here is a summary of the key points from the presentation:
- The document is a presentation overview of the FAA’s Commercial Space Transportation (AST) Compliance and Enforcement Program, presented on July 10, 2023.
- AST’s role is to regulate and promote safe commercial space transportation operations to ensure public safety.
- When operators are found to violate regulations, requirements, or license terms, they can face civil penalties. AST aims for voluntary compliance but uses enforcement as a tool when needed.
- Types of enforcement actions include compliance, administrative, and legal. Compliance actions are collaborative to bring operators back into compliance. Administrative and legal actions can involve penalties.
- Legal enforcement actions are required for intentional violations, reckless conduct, failure to take corrective action, falsification, unacceptable safety risk. They are warranted for repeated noncompliance and lack of qualification.
- The process involves investigation letters, evidence requests, and referral to FAA legal counsel. Civil penalties can range from $10,000 to over $250,000 depending on severity.